Bowery Mural

A break from journal entries

Thursday 30 April 2009

I'm struggling to write up the entries from the journal I kept on the trek but never fear they will be appearing again soon. I thought I'd take a break though and write down a few things that I came across on the trek or that people wrote in my journal before I left. Hope you like! Let's begin...

'No, it is not remarkable that Everest did not yield to the first few attempts; indeed, it would have been a little sad if it had, for that is not the way of great mountains. Perhaps we had become a little arrogant with our fine new technique of ice-claw and rubber slipper, our age of easy mechanical conquest. We had forgotten that the mountain still holds the master card, that it will grant success only in it's own good time. Why else does mountaineering retain it's deep fascination'.
Eric Shipton, 1938 - Upon That Mountain.

'The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone and I must follow if I can. Pursuing it with cougar feet, until it meets some larger way, where many paths and errands meet, and whither then I cannot say...'
Unknown.

'It is only the first step that is difficult'.
Marie De Vichy-Chaconne, Marquise Du Defend, letter to Defend, 1763.

'I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it'.
Unknown

'What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?'

Ange xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x