Bowery Mural

Teeth Brace: Month 1

Saturday 16 March 2013

It's been just over one month since I had my brace fitted. It's gone quickly, just another 23 months to go. It won't be long going in, will it?

On the day i had my brace fitted I was nervous and excited and apprehensive all in one. I had the day off work and met my sister and two nephews in town. They went to McDonalds. I didn't eat or drink. I didn't want to but also i wasn't allowed to for a few hours. Time to let the brace settle. It felt weird having this contraption in my mouth. I spoke with an impediment. It would take some getting used to. The boys weren't phased by my new metal mouth. That's lucky because I think Ryan may need one when he's a bit older and i want him to know that it's fine to wear a brace, if his really cool auntie can wear one then anyone can ;)

Anyway, I waited for this tooth ache to come along. I was sure it would hit me when I was midway through that evenings episode of Emmerdale Farm. It never arrived. Emmerdale was good though. It was strange. The only thing I was feeling was slightly uncomfortable but not through pain, through the fact that there is this thing attached to my teeth. More of an awareness of something being there, rather than anything painful.

For days I ate soup. Lentil soup. Vegetable soup. Broth. Chicken. Moroccan chicken. Spiced chicken. Chicken. I highly recommend the Covent Garden Coup Co Lentil soup. Spicy, thick and really tasty. A hug in a bowl.

Everything was going smoothly as far as I was concerned. Then I went to spin class. I was in the middle of a tricky hill section and needed a drink so went to take a sig from my bottle and OUCH. I have a Camelbak bottle with a bite valve on it. You need to bite the rubber valve to open it and suck the water out. Biting was a problem. You see with me eating mushy Weetabix for breakfast and my soups for lunch and dinner, I hadn't bitten anything for days. Until now, and ouch! I realised that my teeth were very sensitive to bite down on anything. It wasn't until seven days later I was able to bite using my canine teeth. Definitely not the front teeth, and only biting into something relatively soft.

Once I'd mastered that biting and chewing technique I was fine for a few more days. As the weeks have passed my teeth have become less sensitive. I've had no real aches in my gums. There are certain teeth that are more sensitive on different days. It started on the right hand side and has slowly moved around to my left hand side. I think that must be the teeth moving process in full effect though.

What i have been getting is sores on the insides of my cheeks. Again only on certain days, and mostly on the right had side cheek. There's a wire sticking out on the back tooth so i think i'll get her to trim that when I have my next orthodontic appointment.

I'm obsessed with my teeth brushing routine now. It takes a good 10 minutes so if i'm going anywhere i have to allow for that time to brush my teeth. I started with my small headed toothbrush and brush the teeth above the brace, angling the brush downwards to get behind the metal. I then brush below the metal and brackets. All the while using small circular motions. The back teeth are a bit more tricky. I already have an overcrowded mouth, now with the metal brace it means i have to really angel the brush to get in there. Next i brush the backs of my teeth. I can be pretty hard here as there's no metal, just a bit of sensitivity. I then take my little wire Tandex tapered brush, put a small amount of toothpaste on it and brush between each bracket behind the wires using an up and down motion. Just making sure to get between the teeth. I spend a few minutes on this. Finally i brush my bottom teeth as I normally would using my electric toothbrush. I can't use the electric toothbrush on the brace just incase it damages it. After all that i'm done. It sounds a bit of a palaver but I just want to make sure my teeth are clean. They may not be the whitest teeth but i want to keep them clean as the metal of the brace can make them look dark.

I've made up a little toiletry bag (see below) that I carry with me so i have two of everything, small headed toothbrush, little Tandex tapered brush, mini toothpaste (sensodyne pronamel & Colgate Total, floss, silicone brace wax and a mirror. I've used the brace wax a couple of times, mostly on that piece of wire sticking out the back tooth. It covers any sharp edges and helps prevent sores on the insides of my cheeks or the underside of my lips.
Floozie toiletry bag, bought in Debenhams sale for £2.80!

My next orthodontist appointment is 11 April where I think they'll take this wire out and put a new one in and tighten it. At least I think that's what happens.

I keep checking in the mirror to see if i can see a difference yet but with me only being one month into a 24 month treatment i doubt i'll see anything just now. However, I can definitely feel that something's happening.

Anyway, i'll update again next month.

Angela x

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x