Bowery Mural

Thursday Three... pt2

Thursday 7 October 2010

Three songs that have personal meanings to you.

Number One

The Slim Shady LP

Ok so it's not one song but an album. An album I stumbled across when visiting Florida in 2000. I got it on tape and listened to it all holiday on my walkman. Yes you heard that right... a Walkman! Anyway it was like nothing I had heard before and I bought the subesequent albums until he went into that dodgy phase. I think lyrically he's genius. The songs mostly told the story of his struggles with his mum, about his love for his daughter and the on-off relationship with his wife Kim. Explicit and violent at times but with jovial tunes, mostly. I just liked it instantly and then the second hotly anticipated The Marshall Mathers LP came out. Blew me away too. Eminem is polarising. Love him or hate him, he was different.


Number Two

Coldplay - Yellow

The song in which I found my love for Coldplay. A song that came out at a transition period in my life. A simple song about a colour, Yellow. Or is it. But I just simply love it. How could you not like the line "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you". I know some of the cool kids think Coldplay are rubbish but I really don't care. I've seen the four times live and to date they are one of the best live bands i've seen. Granted Chris Martin gets a but carried away and the vocals are a but dodgy at times but the band, Will, Johnny and Guy, even Chris are excellent musicians. So there, Yellow, one of my favourite songs.




Number Three

I'm gonna cheat a bit here and list a few songs that i have grown in recent years to love for various reasons but if nothing else they can move me to stop in my tracks and just listen to them and i think that's as gooda reason as any. So here they are:

The Sacrifice - Lisa Gerard




One day like this - Elbow




Vladimir's Blues - Max Richter




Oops sorry how could i nearly forget this little masterpiece by the brilliant Hans Zimmer....

You're So Cool (as used in the True Romance soundtrack)



So these aren't my only favourite songs but songs or albums that meant something to me at the time. But if you know me you'll know i like lots of songs and can't really call any one song my favourite. I have lots. So tell me your Thursday Three...

Ange x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x