Bowery Mural

Manic Monday with Mark

Thursday, 22 July 2010

Lunch was arranged with Mark (@markofrespect) a few weeks ago when I changed my holidays to two consecutive weeks instead of two separate weeks - I'm weird like that.  Anyway, Monday was to be a much needed catch up with a wonderful person who has become a good friend in such a short space of time.  To say that I regard him is as a dear friend would not be an understatement.  Anyway through normal chitter chatter with various Twitter friends we decided to include a trip to the cinema to see Inception after lunch.  I was so looking forward to our catch up.

After comms via Twitter I got the train and arrived in Glasgow a good half hour before we were due to meet so I headed to George Square then up the Lakeland to buy some egg poacher pods.  I know what you're thinking, but i haven't had poached eggs for years.
George Square

Anyway we met in Buchanan Street half an hour later in the rain.  It was decided we'd head to the West end for lunch, that wasn't to be in a burger joint!  We headed on the subway and got off at Kelvin bridge then I witnessed some excellent navigational skills!  We wandered our way along the street passing some fabulous examples of street graffiti.  I'm only sorry I never got the iPhone out to take some pictures but it was pissing with rain and I was trying to avoid the puddles.  The bottom of my jeans already soaked through.  But the art was brilliant.  I'm sure some of you may well have seen it before.

We arrived at our destination a bit soggy but in good spirits nonetheless.  It was a nice place and we headed upstairs and to a free table in the corner.  There were a few other people in but it wasn't busy.  This was nice though as we chatted and chatted about all manner of things.  Maps, Grandads, food, Mums, Dads, friends, family histories, Twitter and loads more.  Well when I say we chatted he did most of it (as you may well know) but I like that too because I like to hear people's stories and I can chip in with my own bits and pieces too.  It was good.  I could listen to him talk all day, there was so many things I forgot to ask and tell him about.  But that's for another day.

Our food arrived and it was very tasty indeed.  There was more chatter, a pot of tea and an Americano/Latte.  I can't remember which was delivered.  Sitting at another table were a couple who looked kind of awkward.  It could've been one of two things... a first date OR a couple who don't really get on.  This amused us for a wee while until we decided it was time to leave as we had only about 30 minutes to get from Kelvinbridge back to the City Centre in time for the cinema.  On the way back to the subway station i noticed more of that amazing graffiti painted on the walls but time was short, there was no stopping or sauntering.

What was left of our lunch...

Once in the City Centre I was under strict instruction not to talk to the charity collectors in the street, there was no time.  "If they come near us we'll clothesline them, right?"  You know the ones I'm talking about.  Talking of which i do find them a tad gimmicky, persistent and quite frankly I think it's sending out the wrong message about the charity they are working for this month - which is UNICEF.  As a side note I was in Glasgow a few weeks ago with my cousin Brian and he commented that they were acting like the people you get in Magaluf or Ibiza that try to lure you into the nightclubs.  But I digress...

We made our way to Cineworld but it was absolutely mobbed.  The queues were out the door and along the block, i reckon it would have taken a good 35-40 minutes to get to the front of it but alas, there were self serve ticket machines with only a few people in the queue so we joined that and were self-serving within 10 minutes.  Interestingly Mark wrote a post about this type of behaviour on his blog.  Anyway after running from the train, waiting in a relatively short queue the film we wanted to see was sold out.  So he searched for another cinema and found the Odeon at Springfield Quay so I booked the tickets whilst still standing next to the now very empty ticket machine in Cineworld.  We had approximately 30 minutes to walk from Cineworld all the way down Buchanan Street (still using our by now stealth tactical avoidance skills from the charity sellers), then still further down to a car park to pick up the wheels.  Safely in the car we had now 13 minutes to get to the Odeon before the film started.  Of course we knew the film wouldn't actually begin then but still... It's not nice walking in late.  Mark drove at speed along the riverside and we came to a set of lights where we were advised to turn left by Tom Tom but on getting there there were 'no left turn' signs up.  I won't say what happened next but we were soon headed along the road and into the car park at Odeon.  A space was spotted and there was a near run in with an old guy who wasn't looking in his mirrors properly.  Horns were beeped then we got out and I vowed to write a blog post about the day i nearly died driving to the cinema!  Ha ha I'm kidding Mark.  Inside this cinema there were queues too but none at the ticket machines, which is strange because you can actually buy your ticket there too!!  Why do people queue unnecessarily?  Anyway we finally made it into the screen number 11 and I think the adverts had only just started.  Phew...

Did I mention what the film was?  No?  It was Inception and I'm no film critic but I thought it was fantastic.  It was intense and you had to concentrate to get the storyline but I found that fine.  It was only after we came out I realised it was nearly two and a half hours of holding my breath and I actually felt a bit exhausted afterwards.  It was like you were in a 90 degree wash cycle which then spun you at 1300rpms and spat you out at the end...  F**k sake!!  I'm deliberately not mentioning anything relating to the storyline as I don't want to spoil it for you folks out there.  All I'll say is that Leo was as usual engaging but there's new eye candy on the block in the shape of Tom Hardy.  Oh yes!  He's loverlee and a recent discovery after having seen him being interviewed on Jonathan Ross a few weeks ago.  He's usually the baddie in films or TV programmes.  But he's good at it.

Afterwards Mark drive me back to Queen Street so I could get the train home.  We spoke about the film and how it was... well, great, but i think he was left a bit speechless from it.  It was time to say our goodbyes and I thanked him for a truly epic day.  I headed into the station to find my train wasn't leaving for another half hour.  I sat on a bench and with my heart still pounding from seeing the film i came over a bit emotional.  Strange.  I wondered if i was overly tired.  I went and got some water from the shop and waited a wee while longer then the train was ready for me.  On my way home I couldn't help think about things.  I sent a few tweets.  Then I phoned my sister who is currently away on holiday with my mum, dad and my two nephews.  This is the reason I'm home alone.  Anyway I thought I'd phone as I wanted a wee chat with someone.  It was nice and passed some minutes on the train.  It turned out to be a nice night, the rain had stopped and there were some nice breaks in the clouds where natures light-show was starting once again.  I'm a sucker for a nice sky.

By the time i got to Stirling I had calmed down a bit and i trip-trapped my way across the railway bridge and back to the car, but not before i took more photos.  I do love photos.  It was the perfect end to a great day.

Mark, thank you dear friend for a wonderful day out, the first of many more to come.

Ange xx

1 comment:

  1. Ange, I read this and felt so complete. It was a strange experience to read such lovely things about our day, not bad at all - just not something I have ever received before.

    I wanted to comment but to be honest I was rendered speechless ...

    Instead I can only leave this, to sum up my feelings:

    When you're weary
    Feeling small
    When tears are in your eyes
    I will dry them all

    I'm on your side
    When times get rough
    And friends just can't be found
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down

    When you're down and out
    When you're on the street
    When evening falls so hard
    I will comfort you

    I'll take your part
    When darkness comes
    And pain is all around
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down

    Sail on Silver Girl,
    Sail on by
    Your time has come to shine
    All your dreams are on their way

    See how they shine
    If you need a friend
    I'm sailing right behind
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will ease your mind
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will ease your mind



Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x