Bowery Mural

You watch something new every day: Game of Thrones

Friday 5 April 2013

I'm totally new to this Game of Thrones party that's been on around me for a couple of years now. I'd never bothered with it before due to the fact that I didn't have access to watch it since its broadcast on Sky. And only having council telly means no Sky. Until I got the Sky Go app (from my sister) on my iPad. AMAZING!

The technicalities are that Sky customers can use the Sky Go app on two devices for free. It gives you access to the basic Sky channels and some that you are subscribed to. You can 'watch now' or watch 'on demand'. You can also download.

It's been a great addition to me. It means that I can watch in my bed without having to wear my glasses. Which is a great thing for wearers of glasses i;m sure you'll agree. I set my iPad on my bedside unit close enough so that i can see and off we go.

I've taken to watching the Australian Open tennis in January, the F1 races LIVE!, cycling on Eurosport and lots of new series' that I always felt I was missing due the volume of tweets about such programmes.

So, back to Game of Thrones.

I'm not really a fantasy book/show fan. If I'm honest I only dip in and out of Dr Who. I hate Star Wars and the likes and i never imagined I'd like Game of Thrones. The new series (3) began this week with a great deal of publicity and a nod that the first two series' were going to be available on Sky Go 'on demand'. I decided I'd try it out.

OMG. I watched the full first series in a day and a half. Which isn't too bad since there's only ten episodes. But it really was good. Great even. I think I'd recommend watching them all in one go like that, or at least in quick succession otherwise the plot and story-lines a plenty may be a little difficult to follow. Here's some blurb on it...

Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the vast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. King and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men... all will play the Game of Thrones.


By far my favourite has to be little Arya Stark. Ser Eddard (Ned) Stark's tomboy daughter. She's a sword wielding little champion. By far the least favourite is Joffrey. Little weasel Joffrey. Oh man, never have i wanted to punch someone so much. I hope he gets his comeuppance. The characters are quite and I've noticed the cast is like a who's who of Scottish actors. Some probably relatively unknown outside of our borders. Still the stories and characters intertwine in some way. I'm glad they don't shy away from killing off main characters too. Oh and heads up, if you're at all squeamish it may not be the best viewing for you.

I'm currently on season 2, episode 7. (I would have been further on but my broadband has been going really S L O W L Y in the evenings and so my viewing has been cut short). With there only being 10 episodes per season do think that seasons 1 and 2 were so close in time they could've run 2 straight after 1. Maybe they did. I'm new to all this remember.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying something I never thought I would. Brilliant.

Game of Thrones, Sky Atlantic. Go.

Angela x

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x