Bowery Mural

A letter to myself on assertiveness

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Lately has been a bit funny (strange) in the life of Angela. There are things a plenty to get off my chest but this doesn't appear to be the right place for those. I toyed with the idea of starting another anonymous blog so that I could get everything out that's eating my insides. You might have an inkling about what I talk of but then again you probably haven't. Let's just say that I need to give myself a tug by the collar and stick up for myself more. So it seemed like nothing short of a happy coincidence when I found this passage about Assertiveness in a daily email from Emerald Street.

The rules of assertiveness
I have the right to state my own needs and set my own priorities as a person independently of any roles that I may assume in my life.
I have the right to be treated with respect as an intelligent, capable, equal person.
I have the right to express my feelings.
I have the right to express my opinions and values.
I have the right to say “yes” or “no” for myself.
I have the right to make mistakes.
I have the right to change my mind.
I have the right to say I don’t understand.
I have the right to have the right to ask for what I want.
I have the right to decline responsibility for other people’s problems.
I have the right to deal with others without being dependent on them for approval.

This is going to be my little mantra I shall repeat to myself whenever I feel like I'm being unnecessarily put into a situation that i should not be.

I'll even print it off and stick it up on my workspace at work as a reminder to myself.

You are worth it Angela.
You're opinion DOES count, Angela.
You do not deserve to be spoken down to, Angela.
You are a truly wonderful person, Angela.

You are you, I am you.
Lovely you.

Angela x
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Leave a comment! I read them all x